Brazil, you say? They know how to play football over there, don't they? But it's a long way for one so middle aged as I to travel.

So instead, I shall slouch into my leather armchair and view the tournament from this side of the Atlantic. I shall try and watch every game and will definitely make wildly inaccurate predictions too.

I do solemnly vow to give you a real sense of what it's like to not be at the World Cup. This is the blog where all the colour and atmosphere and passion of watching the world's greatest sporting tournament on a wall mounted widescreen really comes to life.

Monday 30 June 2014

They Finished 14th: MEXICO

I thought they'd done it.  I'd even predicted them to do it.  In the sizzling heat, I thought they'd leave Europe's men in orange red-faced in despair and knock them out. And they came so close to doing it.

Their star was the guy between the sticks, a cool keeper if ever there was one. You'd love to be his agent right now.  Offers will be flying in from all over the world for the man in the headband who pulled off save after save.

He couldn't keep his side in the competition on his own, the outfield players coming up just short quality wise. The first knockout game proves to be Mexico's last for the sixth tournament on the spin.