Brazil, you say? They know how to play football over there, don't they? But it's a long way for one so middle aged as I to travel.

So instead, I shall slouch into my leather armchair and view the tournament from this side of the Atlantic. I shall try and watch every game and will definitely make wildly inaccurate predictions too.

I do solemnly vow to give you a real sense of what it's like to not be at the World Cup. This is the blog where all the colour and atmosphere and passion of watching the world's greatest sporting tournament on a wall mounted widescreen really comes to life.

Wednesday 2 July 2014

They Finished 11th: ALGERIA

And so the best African nation in the 2014 World Cup is...  Algeria! They flew the flag the longest for the continent, playing exciting football along the way, and nearly causing a shock by dispatching of the Germans.  They played as a team, bereft of stars, but full of passion and heart, so lacking from some of the established giants of European football. They took Germany to extra time, pulling one back after going two down a little too late to add to it. But I enjoyed watching them. Shame they couldn't fully avenge the disgrace of 82.