Brazil, you say? They know how to play football over there, don't they? But it's a long way for one so middle aged as I to travel.

So instead, I shall slouch into my leather armchair and view the tournament from this side of the Atlantic. I shall try and watch every game and will definitely make wildly inaccurate predictions too.

I do solemnly vow to give you a real sense of what it's like to not be at the World Cup. This is the blog where all the colour and atmosphere and passion of watching the world's greatest sporting tournament on a wall mounted widescreen really comes to life.

Wednesday 2 July 2014

World Cup Quarter Finals predictions

So here's how I predicted the quarter finals would look before the tournament started:


BRAZIL v  URUGUAY

FRANCE  v  GERMANY

SPAIN  v  IVORY COAST

ARGENTINA  v  BELGIUM


and here's the actual line up:

BRAZIL v COLOMBIA
FRANCE v GERMANY
HOLLAND v COSTA RICA
ARGENTINA v BELGIUM

That roar is the sound of my own trumpet being blown.  Two ties dead right, one totally wrong, the other half right. Costa Rica the wildest of wild cards. Colombia a tad fortunate to face a Suarez-less Uruguay. Holland benefitting from Spain's demise.  5 out of 8 right now.  So much better than last time.