Brazil, you say? They know how to play football over there, don't they? But it's a long way for one so middle aged as I to travel.

So instead, I shall slouch into my leather armchair and view the tournament from this side of the Atlantic. I shall try and watch every game and will definitely make wildly inaccurate predictions too.

I do solemnly vow to give you a real sense of what it's like to not be at the World Cup. This is the blog where all the colour and atmosphere and passion of watching the world's greatest sporting tournament on a wall mounted widescreen really comes to life.

Friday 11 July 2014

What's It Like To Be In The World Cup Final?

Less than two days to go, and the citizens of two nations, thousands of miles apart are preparing for the biggest football match of their lives.

The butterflies must already be infecting their stomachs. Invitations to barbecues, pub get-togethers or official fanzones will have been handed out and considered.

Flags draped from windows, new shirts purchased from shops, cars decorated with colours.

What a build-up it will be. Tense anticipation. Nervous excitement. Get the beers in. Can't sleep for thinking about it. Could we win? Or will it be them?

Good luck fans of Germany and Argentina.

I envy you both the excitement you must be feeling right now.

But come Sunday night, I will envy only one of you.