Brazil, you say? They know how to play football over there, don't they? But it's a long way for one so middle aged as I to travel.

So instead, I shall slouch into my leather armchair and view the tournament from this side of the Atlantic. I shall try and watch every game and will definitely make wildly inaccurate predictions too.

I do solemnly vow to give you a real sense of what it's like to not be at the World Cup. This is the blog where all the colour and atmosphere and passion of watching the world's greatest sporting tournament on a wall mounted widescreen really comes to life.

Thursday 26 June 2014

They finished 24th: IVORY COAST

So near and yet so near.  Denied their place in the knockouts by a late, late penalty against Greece who stole their place as a result.

A team with big names pretty much everywhere, I expected more from IC. But Drogba looked jaded, Yaya not the force he is at the Etihad.

They were in a group they should have cruised through, but again I'm left having to review the performances of an under-performing African nation.

No wonder the IC GK stayed on the pitch at the end of the Greece game, his head buried in the grass.  He knew they should have done better.