Brazil, you say? They know how to play football over there, don't they? But it's a long way for one so middle aged as I to travel.

So instead, I shall slouch into my leather armchair and view the tournament from this side of the Atlantic. I shall try and watch every game and will definitely make wildly inaccurate predictions too.

I do solemnly vow to give you a real sense of what it's like to not be at the World Cup. This is the blog where all the colour and atmosphere and passion of watching the world's greatest sporting tournament on a wall mounted widescreen really comes to life.

Monday 23 June 2014

World Cup Round Of 16 Predictions - Tuesday 1 July Games

ARGENTINA v SWITZERLAND. You can't look beyond Argentina here. Well, I know I can't, and no, I shouldn't have gone to Specsavers. It's inconceivable one of the strongest sides in the tournament will falter against opposition I can't help but under-rate. Messi is scoring. Aguero hasn't really got going yet, and after being frustrated by Iran, they are due to give someone a twonking. Sorry, Switzerland, that's you. 4-1. With the Swiss going one-up just for good measure.

BELGIUM v USA I think this one will go to extra time. Both are good teams, with the USA very well supported throughout the tournament. The Belgians have an embarrassment of talents across the pitch and I think that will see them through in the end. 2-1 with the winner right at the end of extra time, David Platt in Italia '90 style.